Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Faith, Goodness, Knowledge & Don't Forget That Self Control & Perseverance.

2 Peter 1:5 - 6 Make every effort to add to your faith goodness, and to goodness knowledge, and to knowledge self control and to self control perseverance.


I seriously lack self control. I have always said it, I will say it again - I seriously lack self control. I have been consistently overweight for my entire adult life due to this fact? Not really....Is it self control I really lack? Or just self discipline? That is the thing right there....I want a specific outcome but not enough that I stick with things...Let me explain.

I want to lose weight, but at the first sign of stress. I fold...I am done, I can't possibly eat well today because well, gee I am stressed and I DESERVE to have whatever food I want to put into my mouth right??? Chocolate, McDonalds? Soda? I work HARD to pay my bills, I work HARD to do things, why should I have to give up those comfort foods?

Ok so Whoa! Wait a minute...when did I start looking to food as comfort? Hmm, good question, not really sure...I can't pinpoint a moment in time. However, the bigger question is now that I am a Christian, why am I STILL turning to food for comfort when I should be turning to God?

Matt:11:28-30 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

So I have faith in God right? I try to be good...good mother, good Christian, good worker...so just need to work on the good to myself part. I have the knowledge that God has given me to lose weight, to be healthy and to keep my body as a temple to Him. So here we are back to the self-control and the perseverance.. Well, with God all things are possible, and if I can turn to Him instead of chocolate...or a double cheeseburger and fries...or Pepsi...Then in Him, through Him and with Him...I will reach that goal, and to Him be the glory.

So now ya know right? Why I am fasting the things I am fasting from...because they are the bane of my existence and for God and with God I can deny myself to focus on Him.

What about you? What are you needing self control and perseverance from?

Sharyl

No comments:

Post a Comment